Thursday 23 June 2011

Dear ETV


Dear ETV

I am a reality television show enthusiast. I am an even bigger fan of the “talent search” show format Whether it’s looking for the best chef, dancer, singer or air freshener sprayer I WILL watch it. I especially love dance competitions. Perhaps my love for show s of this nature stems from the fact that if I had to dance to save my life, I would most definitely be killed.

With that being said, can you imagine my excitement when I found out about a new dance show set to air on your channel? “Oh yes” I said to myself, my Sunday nights will never be boring again. Sadly, I was left terribly disappointed by Step Up or Step Out. My heart was shattered at this below par production for a number of reasons. I’m no expert but I do watch television so I’d like to think that I know what works and what doesn’t.  On that note allow me to list a few of my grievances.

While the judges should be looking for the best dance talent South Africa has to offer, a sense of humour and a bit of a controversial nature should be a prerequisite when selecting judges. The combination of Arthur, Emile and Penny does absolutely nothing for me. What a bloody boring bunch! And when the hell did Arthur become the master of dance? There is a difference between King of Dance and King of Kwaito. I’m not sure if he is king of either.

While the dance show genre is not unique, there are numerous ways in which to ensure that Step Up or Step Out can hold its own against other shows of its kind. I believe that the X-Factor for Step Up or Step Out was meant to be the battle in which the bottom two team compete against each other. It is undoubtedly a refreshing idea however, it just doesn’t seem to hit the mark. Groups come across as ill prepared and one is left wondering how they made it to the final 8 in the first place. I actually cringed watching 8 oh 8 battle the Spar10ns (however the hell you spell those names). It was embarrassing to say the least.

The show itself requires a good publicist. When one logs onto Twitter on a Sunday night, it’s evident that the majority of the South African Twitter population is watching Idols. This tells me that Step Up or Step Out is not adequately hyped up. Where are the television, radio, magazine and newspaper interviews? Where are the riveting promos? Even a simple advertisement would suffice.

What is the purpose of the “Flip Side” episodes that airs during the week? If an “extra” episode is to air then show us the drama. Do I look like i care about the star drawn on a contestants face with liquid liner?!  I want to see the drama and the bitching. Penny and Arthur can’t stand each other surely there have been heated exchanges, show us dammit.

Lastly,  can we discuss the crowd? If that doesn’t scream rent a crowd then I must be an idiot. Do the producers think the audience is so stupid that they can’t tell a rent a crowd from a genuine one? They look like they are there by force and told when they can and cannot clap their little hands.  

As I said before I am no expert when it comes to television production and I am sure that there are more qualified people out there to guide this production.  If this show is coming back for a second season, a visit to the drawing board is needed.


Regards

Helen Unrestricted

No comments:

Post a Comment